Ottawa Gatineau Belly Birth & Baby Photographer
Of course these are only guidelines and not rules, but in previous experience the sessions are a lot smoother when the guidelines are followed. Feel free to make recommendations of things to add to this list. We are always looking to make things easier on moms-to-be!
- first things first, RELAX! the last thing we want is for you to be stressed out over a photoshoot
- moisturise that belly!! the few days leading up to your photoshoot, make sure you are applying plenty of moisturising cream to your belly, but don’t forget your arms and legs (we want all of you looking spectacular!)
- don’t cut or colour your hair at least a week before your session because you want it to settle and you want to make sure you love it (otherwise you may regret it in your images and we don’t want that!
- make sure your nails are cleaned, clipped & shaped (dad too!) and no coloured polish (neutral or French manicure is fine). In fact, we recommend a couples manicure date a day or two before the session.
- try to avoid eating spicy or gassy foods 48 hours prior to your session to avoid discomfort (dad too! and alcohol to avoid red puffy eyes)
- it is recommended to prepare your wardrobe a few days before your session to make sure everything is cleaned, ironed, etc. and to make sure it all still fits. this gives you time to go shopping if needed.
- seasonal tips:
- avoid extended sun exposure during the week leading up to your session to avoid awkward tan lines and/or burns (and be aware of your garment shapes and straps)
- during the week leading up to your session make sure you bundle up to stay warm and avoid the sniffles and/or frosty fingers
For wardrobe options, here are the recommendations
The goal is to have options to choose from in case you change your mind day-of. We may not use every single outfit option, but these are the typical choices that have proven to be classic, timeless, and beautiful. Mom-to-be, it strongly recommended to arrive wearing a loose t-shirt with sweatpants or a loose dress (the least elastic and tightness possible) to avoid any elastic marks when you arrive. If you are comfortable doing so, avoid wearing a bra (you can wear a tighter t-shirt to hold things in) and loose underwear to prevent elastic marks even better.
- bring along a strapless bra (preferably nude/beige) and a set (or two) of fancy matching undergarments for the more intimate images
- bring along a fitted dress for images that highlight your curves of motherhood
- bring along a flowy dress that cinches at the waist for a more romantic and natural feel, all while highlighting your baby belly
- bring along a plain tank top or t-shirt (white, grey, beige — neutral tones) without logos
- for dad-to-be, we recommend a matching t-shirt or polo, again without logos
- bring along dressy yet comfortable paints: jeans , black yoga pants (the newer the better so they are still black and not ‘bally’) or a skirt
- for dad-to-be, we recommend either dressy jeans, beige or grey khakis, or dress pants (light-medium neutral colours)
- for outdoor sessions, you will likely only use one (maybe two) wardrobe options; we recommend the dressy and/or casual options (arrive to the shoot location in your desired outfit.
- if the weather is spring/fall cool: we recommend wearing a nice fall sweater or sweater dress with a coordinating scarf (for her) and a fancy jacket or peacoat over a sweater and dress pants (for him). weather-permitting, we can ditch the jackets for a few shots so make sure the wardrobe underneath is photo-worthy (see our inspiration board for ideas)
- if the weather is winter cold: we recommend wearing lots of warm & pretty layers underneath a fancy coat with thin (yet warm) mittens or gloves and hat or ear-muffs for stylish warmth. heck, we’ve had couples bring a blanket to wrap around themselves to stay warm!
The idea is to make sure you both look like you’re going to the same place (whether it’s a coffee date, pic-nic, rodeo, diner party, victoria secret fashion show participant, etc.). If she is wearing jeans and a tank top, he should also be wearing jeans and a neutral top. However if she is in her fancy bra and yoga pants, odds are that dad without a shirt wearing jeans is the best pairing. Not to worry, you will be guided in-studio, but make sure you bring your preferred wardrobe options! Check out our inspiration board for ideas!
Don’t have anything “maternity” to wear? No problem! The studio has a selection of garments ranging from fancy bandeau bras, simple dresses, extra tank tops, and a large selection of wraps that can be make-shifted into bandeau-style tops. We also have a wardrobe stylist who would love to work with you in finding the perfect coordinating outfits for your session!
If you’ve purchased the add-on for professional hair & makeup stylists (available for newborn sessions too!)
- arrive with freshly washed and moisturized face (try not to use any abrasive cleansers or scrubs less than 24 hours prior to your session)
- arrive with freshly washed and dried hair, without any product (air drying is recommended)
- bring a few pictures of yourself so that the makeup artists can make sure the look is ‘you’ (photoshoots are not the time to experiment with completely different looks)
- feel free to create a pinterest board with hair & makeup ideas to send to the stylists in advance for inspiration